RSS
Facebook
Twitter

Wednesday, 12 September 2012

My Nigerian Playlist

Some of you might be wondering why a Ghanaian like me is posting a list of Nigerian songs. Simple answer is, they make better music than my Ghanaian countrymen. Lets forget patriotism for a while and  just call a spade a spade. My taste in music has been evolving over the years, browse my music folder in 2006 and you would have been hard pressed to find anything that doesn't have lots of  shouting and curse words.  These days I've acquired what i like to call a more mature taste in music, stuff that actually makes sense, words that i can relate to and though i still listen to some pretty useless songs every once in a while(courtesy of the drive to work) i'm focusing more on songs from back home.

2face started the job of converting me to the church of 'Naija' music in 2006 and 6 years later i'm proud to say i'm a full convert. Nigerians are not more talented than Ghanaians, No not at all, they just make  better music. Music that everybody can UNDERSTAND, in Ghana it's all twi twi twi, a little Ga and one Ewe guy trying to make himself heard. When you make music as if only the 32 million people in your country are going to hear it, you end up alienating the rest of the world(including the esteemed author of this post).  

Who else noticed how easy it was for Rick Ross to rap on p-square's beautiful onyinye ? or why kanye never signed anybody from my beloved Ghana ? and talking about signings, what happened to sarkodie's alleged deal with Akon? of course we have English rappers in Ghana, but if your countrymen wont listen to you, what do you expect of world ?. Till Ghanaians change their twi-pop attitude their biggest artistic export will be Azonto.

Back to omo naija, some of the artistes on this list are simply phenomenal, i can bet my last pesewa on M.I to deliver top notch rap and murder any battle MC in the world. Wizkid has been telling our poor girls to dance, wind and follow him go since 2010 and it still sounds great. Asa has no comparison , Drake sampled nneka's heartbeat and Rita Ora just had to get a piece too. Dbanj now rolls with the Illuminati crowd(cough cough) and my favorite musical twins are now konvicts. Whilst mister tubaba is showing everybody what you do African queens when you get them, take your time to enjoy my Playlist.

Ice Prince - Oleku
Brymo      - Ara
Ice Prince - Superstar
P-Square  - Beautiful onyinye rmx
Samklef    - Molowo noni rmx
Bracket     - Girl ft wizkid
Djinee       - Overkillin rmx
E.M.E       - Baddest Boy
2face         - My rainbow
eLDee       - Category
M.I            - Lost ft loose kaynon
M.I            - Undisputed
P-square    - chop my money
Skales        - Mukulu
Wande Coal - Private Tips
Dr Sid          - Ba mi jo
Dr Sid          - Over the moon
Duncan Mighty - Obianuju
Yung6ix            - Follow me ft wizkid
Dbanj             - Oliver twist
Omawumi      - If you ask me
Asa                - Jailer
D'prince        - Give it to me now
M.I               - Homecoming

                                                                                                                                          FBNDP

0 comments:

Post a Comment